Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Sign Petition To Free Bro. Genarlo Wilson!!!


Could this happen to your child? Your brother? Your friend?

Genarlow Wilson sits in prison despite being a good son, a good athlete and high school student with a 3.2 GPA. He never had any criminal trouble. On the day he was to sit for the SAT, at seventeen years old, his life changed forever. He was arrested. In Douglas County he was accused of inappropriate sexual acts at a News Year’s Eve party. A jury acquitted him of the allegation of Rape but convicted him of Aggravated Child Molestation for a voluntary act of oral sex with another teenager. He was 17, and she was 15.

Along with the label “child molester” which will require him throughout his life to be on a sexual offender registry, Genarlow received a sentence of eleven years — a mandatory 10 years in prison and 1 year on probation.

On July 1st, the new Romeo and Juliet law went into effect in Georgia for any other teen that engages in consensual sexual acts. That change in the law means that no teen prosecuted for consensual oral sex could receive more than a 12 months sentence or be required to register as a sex offender.

Had this law been in effect when Genarlow Wilson was arrested, or had been done after the Marcus Dixon case, Genarlow would not now be in jail.

Genarlow and his mother are overjoyed that no one else in Georgia will have to know their pain. In the meantime, however, the legal fight goes on for Genarlow Wilson.

Genarlow has been incarcerated since February 25, 2005.

More

Sign The Petition

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree with alot of the Politics of today's mainstream so-called "black leaders," such as Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, but this is not about Politics. This is about a young man's life which is being wrongfully used for political purposes on both sides. The law is supposed to be used for justice, and must be enforced with justice is mind, hence the saying "the punishment must fit the crime." Obvsiously, this punishment is totally out of whack. I wish Mr. Wilson and his family the best.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the last comment. I moved to the Atlanta area in 1991 and was force fed the civil rights movement. I did not agree with a lot of the things but I could understand it. BUT as the last comment said, this is about what is right. I feel sorry for this young man. He was a good student and on track to make something of himself. Now, because of stupid lawmakers and judges, he is a victim of the system that is hard to get out of. My prayers are with him and his family. I am a resident of Douglas County and it makes me realize how "good ole' boy that judicial system" still it.
God Bless You Genarlo and I pray that when you get out, you will realize that there are a lot of people, black and white, in your corner and you can still be the man that you intended to be.

Anonymous said...

I live in Canada and heard about Mr. Wilson's story and hope he gets back his freedom soon. I believe that the law treated him like they treat every other coloured individuals; with no regard for their freedom. They treat us the same in Canada too. Good luck to you Mr. Wilson and keep your head up.

Anonymous said...

The most frightening thing about a case like this is that there are judges and people on a jury, humans like us, who actually have the cheek to believe that this should even have gone to trial. The minumum age requirement to join the US military is 17. Makes you think doesn´t it. Makes you also wonder how anyone on that trial can pretend that they had done nothing more that kiss someone else on the lips before the age of 17.

Either way, none of those people will ever look at this website. But remember, most of those who make the laws and uphold them are the biggest bunch of hippocrates you could ever lay your hands on.

We don´t like what they do, we abhore the fact that another human being makes a moral judgemnt, but the truth of it is there are a lot of cases every day as ridiculous as this one.

It´s sick, BUT if as they say `what goes around comes around` well rest assured, this useless bunch who convicted Mr Wilson, will be having there fair share of problems too. We can only hope.

I am not American... but I would have expected a lot more from a country who seems to be the moral high ground around the world. I sincerely hope Mr Wilson can change a few minds with his terrible experience. Excuse my spelling. I hope there isn´t a law against bad typists and if there is, that I don´t get the same judge as Mr Wilson did.

Gald you are free, and I hope the rest of your life is fabulous.

Anonymous said...

It did happen to my child. Wilson
is only one of thousands. The law
needs to change for all not just
him. In my sons case, she lied
about when it happened. She was
17. He was 3 weeks from graduating. Now I don't he can even finish. The law does not stop girls from having sex. They just
go on to the next guy. God makes
them accountable. Why don't the
law.

Anonymous said...

I really feel for that young man. 10 years for an adolescent indiscretion? That is crazy! Sounds like someone wanted to make an example of him.

When I was 18 I did the same thing with a (willing) 15 year old. We were caught but charges weren't laid. I can't say I'm proud of that, but who hasn't made an error or indulged in something illegal at that age? A time when hormones are raging and one often does not have the full ability to predict the consequences of one's actions.

I pray that you are released soon.
P
Australia