Monday, March 12, 2007

Famed Author Dwight Fryer treated like a King @ the 38th Annual NAACP Image Awards...



All,
The award for Outstanding Literary Work - Debut Author at the NAACP Image Awards eluded me; however, the week end experience was nothing short of wonderful for my wife and I. Actor Hill Harper won for his delightful book, Letters To A Young Brother. The book has received strong reviews and would be a great gift to any person, not just the youthful males in your life.

My employer, FedEx hosted my wife and I along with a contingent of FedEx customers, employees, and guests at the Image Award Show in Hollywood. FedEx was a premier sponsor of the NAACP Image Awards show and events. The NAACP Image Awards was a great opportunity to advocate two of the several things I am most passionate about: FedEx and telling stories via my literary pursuits. It was a privilege and great blessing to be able to do both simultaneously.

I met approximately two dozen FedEx customers during the weekend with our initial meeting being at a reception and book signing FedEx sponsored to commemorate my nomination for an Image Award.. I spoke at the event on what it has been like to be a FedEx employee for twenty-four years. We signed and presented one hundred and twenty-five copies of The Legend of Quito Road to attendees during this event and over the weekend. Many of these FedEx customers have International applications within their operations and these customers will be a great outlet for me and the International Marketing team to which I belong to gain further insight into how we can design solutions that meet the needs of users of FedEx International solutions.

My publisher Linda Gill, General Manger of Kimani Press, a division of Harlequin, CA. also attended the reception and book signing that FedEx sponsored on Thursday, March 1 and the Image Awards show. I am very grateful for the support of the team at my publisher, including the staff and my peer authors that write for Harlequin.

The NAACP Image Award events for FedEx customers, guests, and staff were superbly planned and executed by the Emerging Markets team at FedEx. FedEx deservedly won numerous points with our customers and others that witnessed how this entire event was run and how supportive the entire organization has been during the process of the publication of my novel, The Legend Of Quito Road. I am humbled by the support of the FedEx leadership team and many of its two-hundred and seventy-five thousand employees and contractors. I am a proud FedEx'er who has worked for the company twice during twenty-four of the past twenty-six years.

Here's a snapshot of a few of the folks I met during the weekend that know a part of my story and know that FedEx supported my efforts:

Soledad O'Brien from CNN (also a recipient of an Image Award)
Julian Bond, Chairman of the NAACP
Bruce Gordon, President of the NAACP (until the announcement of his resignation over the weekend)
Ann Curry, (news anchor at the TODAY Show on NBC and an Image Award nominee)
Ed Gordon, Talk show host on NPR and formerly of BET
Clayola Brown, Chair, NAACP Image Awards Committee
Glenn Turman, Actor (he and I both agree that he looks just like Gillam Hale from Legend)
Nancy Lane, Image Awards Vice Chairman
Charles "Chuck" Whitehead, Image Awards Vice Chairman
Karen Boykin-Towns, Image Awards Vice Chairman
Willis Edwards, NAACP Board Member

I want to thank you, my readers and encouragers, for your support. Thanks for forwarding this note to others that you think will enjoy hearing about a great employer and one of its blessed employees Dwight Fryer. Also, thanks for continuing to spread the word about The Legend of Quito Roand. Remember, "the worst things wrong with most of us were planterd there by those who love us the best."

Plant a good seed and look for a bountiful crop. God bless! Take care and be safe.
Check out the official 38th Annual NAACP Image Awards website:
*News Update*
Famed Author Dwight Fryer will be interviewed on Tha Artivist Presents...W.E. A.L.L. B.E. Radio on April 1, 2007 @ 4pm central time live!!!



More Dwight Fryer on W.E. A.L.L. B.E.:


No comments: